Leading children to follow Christ and trust him in life’s choices. Teaching kids that we have God’s best when we live by God’s plan and choose his way.
If we refuse to follow God, we miss his plans to meet our needs.
Elijah helps a widow and her son
Read: 1 Kings 17:7-24
- How did Elijah know what to do when the brook dried up? (verse 8).
- How do we know what to do when problems come? God will guide us to make the right decisions as long as we look to him (Read Proverbs 3:5-6).
- What did the widow woman tell Elijah when he asked for bread?
- The widow woman lived in Zarepath, a land where people worshipped other gods, not the real God. But they had heard about the real God. How did the widow woman show that she believed in the real God? (verse 14-15)
- How did god honor her faith? (verse 16)
- If she had refused to help Elijah, would he have been there to help her when her son died?
- Challenge Question: What does this teach us about refusing to obey God? (If we refuse to follow God’s plan for our lives, we miss out on the things God has planned to meet our needs.)
- What did the widow woman give God? (everything she had)
- What does God want us to give him? (everything)
- When we give God everything we have, what does he do for us? (He takes care of us.)
Next – Lesson 3: Will we be cowardly or courageous?
I chose the Contemporary English Version as the default translation for Lessons from Elijah. Its easy reading and accurate translation make the CEV an ideal version for children. For more information, see A Bible for children.