Teach how Elijah and his God challenged 450 prophets of Baal at Mt. Carmel. Build excitement as Elijah proved God is real! Adapt the story to age of your group.
One person plus God is always enough.
One man plus God against 450.
Read: 1 Kings 18:17-40
- Do you remember how many prophets of Baal there were when Elijah called all the people to Mt. Carmel? (450)
- How many prophets of God were there? (one — Elijah)
- Why was Elijah not afraid to stand alone before 450 prophets of Baal? (Because he knew his God was real!)
- What did Elijah tell the people? (v. 21)
- What did the people answer? (v. 21)
- Who can tell the story of what happened when the one prophet of God and the 450 prophets of Baal called on their God/gods at Mt. Carmel?
- Why did Elijah ask God to send fire from heaven? (v. 37)
- What did the people do and say when they saw who is the real God? (v. 39)
Next – Lesson 7: Will God keep His Word?
I chose the Contemporary English Version as the default translation for Lessons from Elijah. Its easy reading and accurate translation make the CEV an ideal version for children. For more information, see A Bible for children.