King Ahab and Jezebel’s plot to murder Elijah. An angel from God brings food and shade, and God talks with Elijah and provides him a helper named Elisha.
God provides everything we need when we go with him.
God comforted Elijah when he was discoraged
- Read 1 Kings 19:1-14 — King Ahab and his wife Queen Jezebel were very wicked. They wanted to kill Elijah because he served God.
- Why was Elijah discouraged?
Tell 1 Kings 19:15-21 like this:
The Lord sent Elijah to talk to Elisha. The names Elijah and Elisha sound a lot alike. Remember, Elijah is the one that we’ve been talking about and Elisha is the one that God sent Elijah to. God told Elijah: Tell Elisha that I have chosen him to be prophet in your place some day. But for now I’ve chosen him for you as a special helper. I also want you to know that there are 7000 people in Israel who love God. You are not alone! So Elijah went and told Elisha what God said, and Elisha was glad to be Elijah’s special helper.
- When the bush was just a tiny seed as God was making it grow, do you think that God was thinking of Elijah and how he would someday need the bush for shade?
- God must have taken special care to grow that bush big and full of twigs so it would give good shade to Elijah!
- When Elijah went to sleep under the bush, what happened? (An angel touched him.)
- Who sent the angel? (God.)
- What did the angel bring to Elijah? (Hot bread and water.)
- When Elijah lay down again, what did the angel do? (Gave him more to eat so he could travel to Mt. Horeb.)
- What would happen when he got to Mt. Horeb? (God would meet him.)
- Who provided the cave for Elijah to live at Mt. Horeb? (God.)
Next – Lesson 9: Is God angry when we mess up?
I chose the Contemporary English Version as the default translation for Lessons from Elijah. Its easy reading and accurate translation make the CEV an ideal version for children. For more information, see A Bible for children.